Saturday, January 7, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes: Week 1

Well, I survived my first week of student teaching.  My last post was pretty bleak, but I'm happy to say that I felt much better about the whole situation as the week went on.  It's still going to be a busy few months, but I know I'll survive.  Here are some of the memorable things that my students said this week.  Hopefully I'll be able to post these on a weekly basis.  After getting to know my class this week, I don't think I'll have a hard time doing that.  :) 

1.  "Mrs. Bland, how old are you?  I think you're 27."  Hmmm....not sure what I think about that.  :)

2.  Weirdest question:  "What is your biggest fear?"  This was just so funny to me because the student that asked this had the creepiest look on his face when he asked.  Haha.

3.  My students do timed multiplication tests every week to pass off their multiplication facts.  One of the students has been working on their 12 times tables and tested on those.  I was grading the test and had to chuckle when after the 3rd problem the student had written in huge letters:  "It's just too hard."  Haha.  I wanted so badly to give them a few points for that answer.  All I could think was "Yes they are sweetie.  Yes they are."  Poor kid.  :(

4.  "Mrs. Bland, my Mom says that she's smarter than you."  OK...

5.  AND....saddest thing I heard this week: "I'm dumb.  My Mom told me that I'll never go to college."  Isn't that the saddest thing you've ever heard?!  I wanted to cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment